Gallery Weekend Berlin 2017
47 Berlin galleries
13th Gallery Weekend Berlin 2017: April 28 – 30, 2017 (Friday – Sunday)
Main openings at all 47 participating galleries: Friday, April 28, 2017, 18-21h
Opening hours of all participating galleries:
Saturday, April 29 and Sunday April 30, each from 11-19h
Gallery Weekend Berlin, which combines concentrated individual exhibitions, memorable Berlin experience and annual social event, is delighted to celebrate with its visitors the engagement of the gallerists at the place where everything originates: at the gallery. From April 28-30, 2017, Gallery Weekend Berlin presents exhibitions by established and newly discovered artists in 47 Berlin galleries.
Meanwhile, Gallery Weekend Berlin looks back at a thirteen-year success story, as reflected in this year’s program: many galleries have decided to show artists with whom they have developed long-standing collaborations and who continue to represent important positions within artistic discourse. Painting holds a particularly visible presence in this year’s program: a medium with a long history, multi-generational artists explore a range of negotiations with this artistic discipline, from reflecting upon phenomena of the digital age to an unadulterated engagement with color and form. Regardless of medium, a signature feature of Gallery Weekend Berlin remains the discovery of young artists and the introduction of those yet less-well known to audiences in Europe. In this way, the program focuses on continuity and sustainability within the productive dynamism of the gallery space, as well as on surprising dialogue.
The weekend is a celebration of the galleries and serves as a culmination of their yearround activity. As they discover artists, maintain lasting relationships with them, and continually promote and disseminate their work worldwide, the galleries are a point of contact for curators, critics, and collectors. The assertion of the gallery-as-social-space has been a central concern since the inception of this special annual event, and often participating galleries have used Gallery Weekend Berlin to unveil new exhibition spaces. This year’s edition sees Esther Schipper and Mehdi Chouakri moving to new locations, and Galerie ChertLüdde will be taking part in Gallery Weekend Berlin for the first time at their new Ritterstrasse home, inaugurated last year.
In this special year for art — as occurs only every 10 years, where documenta, the Venice Biennale, and Skulptur Projekte Münster all open within 2 months of each other – participants in Gallery Weekend 2017 once more present the gallery as a key space for exchange and discourse.
We are particularly grateful for the generous support of Gallery Weekend’s partners, Audemars Piguet and BMW.
The main opening will take place at all participating galleries on Friday, April 28 from 6 – 9 pm. On Saturday, April 29 and Sunday April 30 the galleries will be open from 11 am – 7 pm.
PROGRAM & MAP
Download the GWB 2017 map here as a PDF!
Also have a look at the accompanying events program + ongoing exhibitions at private collections & museums here.
- »Between Spaces – Artistic positions on urbanism and public space«
with Gordon Matta-Clark, Annemirl Bauer, Sibylle Bergemann, Simon Faithfull, Raumlabor, Isa Melsheimer, Tomás Saraceno and others. Opening on Thursday, April 27, 2017, 19h at ZKR Centre for Art and Public Space Schloss Biesdorf
- »Juergen Teller. Enjoy Your Life!« at Martin-Gropius-Bau [Kreuzberg]
- »Shirana Shahbazi: First Things First« at KINDL – Centre for Contemporary Art [Neukölln]
PARTICIPATING GALLERIES AND ARTISTS:
Naturally PiB especially recommends exhibitions focusing on photography and video works, marked in bold below:
- ARRATIA BEER | Fernanda Fragateiro
- GALERIE GUIDO W. BAUDACH | Jürgen Klauke
- BLAIN|SOUTHERN | Jonas Burgert
- GALERIE ISABELLA BORTOLOZZI | Symonds Pearmain
- BQ | Matti Braun
- GALERIE BUCHHOLZ | Caleb Considine; Melvin Edwards
- BUCHMANN GALERIE | Tatsuo Miyajima; Lawrence Carroll
- CAPITAIN PETZEL | Charline von Heyl
- CARLIER|GEBAUER | Thomas Schütte
- CHERTLÜDDE | Kasia Fudakowski
- MEHDI CHOUAKRI | Charlotte Posenenske
- CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS | Katja Strunz; Bjarne Melgaard
- DELMES & ZANDER | Jesuis Crystiano
- GALERIE EIGEN + ART | Olaf Nicolai; !Mediengruppe Bitnik
- KONRAD FISCHER GALERIE | Edith Dekyndt
- MICHAEL FUCHS GALERIE | Marco Brambilla, Douglas Gordon, Roni Horn, Christian Jankowski, Oda Jaune
- GERHARDSEN GERNER | Markus Oehlen
- GALERIE MICHAEL HAAS | Jordi Alcaraz; Gino Rubert; Antoni Tàpies
- GALERIE MAX HETZLER | Günther Förg; Toby Ziegler
- KEWENIG | Kimsooja
- KICKEN BERLIN | “Der Rand der Welt. Sibylle Bergemann in Dialogue”
(► View the feature on PiB)
- KLEMM’S | Viktoria Binschtok
- HELGA MARIA KLOSTERFELDE EDITION | Kay Rosen
- KÖNIG GALERIE | Jose Dávila; Michaela Meise; Anselm Reyle
- KOW | Candice Breitz
- KRAUPA-TUSKANY ZEIDLER | Guan Xiao
- TANYA LEIGHTON | Van Hanos
- DANIEL MARZONA | Bernd Lohaus
- MEYER RIEGGER | Eva Kot’átková
- GALERIE NEU | Andreas Slominski; Cosima von Bonin
- NEUGERRIEMSCHNEIDER | Michel Majerus
- GALERIE NORDENHAKE | Spencer Finch
- PERES PROJECTS | Brent Wadden
- GALERIA PLAN B | Iulia Nistor
- PSM | Paolo Chiasera
- ESTHER SCHIPPER | Anri Sala; Angela Bulloch
- GALERIE MICKY SCHUBERT | Marieta Chirulescu
- GALERIE THOMAS SCHULTE | Michael Müller
- SOCIÉTÉ | Lu Yang
- SPRÜTH MAGERS | Lucy Dodd; Otto Piene; Pamela Rosenkranz
- SUPPORTICO LOPEZ | Dara Friedman
- GALERIE BARBARA THUMM | Teresa Burga
- GALERIE BARBARA WEISS | Rebecca Morris
- WENTRUP | Olaf Metzel; Zanele Muholi
- KUNSTHANDEL WOLFGANG WERNER | Martin Barré
- BARBARA WIEN | Ian Kiaer
- ŻAK | BRANICKA | Robert Kuśmirowski
Further recommendations during Berlin Gallery Weekend
On occasion of the Berlin Gallery Weekend, many other galleries throughout Berlin extend their opening hours as well and offer special events. Have a look at PiB’s following recommendations for photography exhibition & events!