»Life is a long, peaceful river«
Marina Richter / Antonio Jiménez Saiz
“We are not learning to die,” she said – and he remained silent. For two years now, the Spanish photographer Antonio Jiménez Saiz, who lives in Brussels, has been assisting his 82 year-old mother, who has Alzheimer’s disease. Week after week he explores with his camera the “monologue of forgetting”, which he does not see as a farewell, but rather as a deep change in his own relationship with the other. In the exhibition, his pictures meet the equally intimate snapshots of the German photographer Marina Richter. With constant attention to her everyday surroundings, she reveals a strange beauty in the banal. The works of Antonio Jiménez Saiz and Marina Richter are united by their special view of the silence in life, whose poetic tranquillity is transformed, condensed and gives new strength.
Marina Richter, 37, was born in Hoyerswerda. In 2007 she graduated in communication design at HBK Saarbrücken, Germany. She worked as a freelance designer until 2011. Now she lives and makes art in Cottbus, Germany.
Antonio Jiménez Saiz
Spanish, living in Brussels, 59 years old. His photographic approach creates intimate stories, in the course of which the viewer can take his or her own place free from any restrictions.
Autodidact, whose work reveals itself cautiously between the events, such as for example:
- Participation in the Extra-Fort conference series at the Brussels Recyclart Art Center;
- Participation in the Brussels “Fusée de la Motographie”;
- Exhibitor at the fair of independent publishing “Eat My Paper”;
- Exhibition at the Tipi Photo BookShop – Lifestyle of artists from Saint-Gilles;
- Group exhibition at the Bozar as part of the Biennale “Summer of Photography de Bruxelles”;
- Co-editor of the photo book “Elite Controllers” 2016;
- Co-editor of four fanzines 2017;
- Second book “Célébration”, expected to be published in spring 2018;
Workshop recommendation for March 2018 at Fotofabrik Bln-Bxl:
Cédric Gerbehaye »Declination of a photographic narrative«
Photography exhibitions/events in…
PiB’s current print issue
PiB Guide Nº28
Discover great photography exhibitions/events in Berlin in the brand-new PiB Guide Nº28 JAN/FEB 2020! This issue of PiB’s bi-monthly art guide has been published as an A6 booklet · 48 pages · with texts in English & German. Worldwide shipping.